Click the link below to hear the piece.
The text that begins ‘Locus iste a Deo factus est’ (This place was made by God) is a specific part of the Mass used for the anniversary of the dedication of a church. It was set as a motet by Anton Bruckner in 1869, in celebration of the dedication of the Votivkapelle at the New Cathedral in Linz, in Austria, where Bruckner had been the organist. This beautiful, atmospheric four-part motet is one of the jewels of sacred vocal repertoire, a perfectly formed miniature in Bruckner’s rich harmonic language. Arranged by Frances Jones.